Haddon Heights is a borough in Camden County, New Jersey, United States. Haddon Heights was incorporated as a borough by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 2, 1904, from portions of the now-defunct Centre Township and parts of Haddon Township. Haddon Heights is a dry town where alcohol cannot be sold. New Jersey Monthly magazine ranked Haddon Heights as the 98th best place to live in New Jersey in its 2008 rankings of the “Best Places To Live” in New Jersey, and the borough has also been listed among its “Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia” by the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission. In 2011, New Jersey Monthly named Haddon Heights the second best town to live in Southern New Jersey, after Moorestown Township.
The land that was to become Haddon Heights was settled in 1699 by John Hinchman. In 1713, John Siddon built a farmhouse near Hinchman’s property. John Thorn Glover dammed King’s Run and constructed a mill race and fulling mill on this property before 1776. Jacob Hinchman built a frame dwelling no later than 1720 that was later enlarged by American Revolutionary War hero Col. Joseph Ellis. New Jersey governor Joseph Bloomfield later purchased this property.
The Haddon Heights School District serves public school students in Kindergarten through twelfth grade. St. Rose of Lima School, founded in 1921, is an elementary school that operates under the auspices of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Camden. Baptist Regional School is a private, co-educational K-12 college-preparatory school governed by a board of directors in association with Haddon Heights Baptist Church (GARBC). The school offers an integrated curriculum with a conservative Christian worldview.